Telnyx with Linphone Setup Guide
The Telnyx network offers unparalleled security, reliability and call quality. That’s because we’re a true carrier, and unlike many CPaaS providers, we don’t rely on middlemen to provide core communications functionality and routing.
We built our SIP services so that you can easily integrate Telnyx with any platform to get your business communications set up quickly. Whether you’re looking to integrate with hardware or cloud-based solutions we want to empower you to make and receive calls globally with the network built for reliable, enterprise-grade voice services.
This guide shows you how to connect your Telnyx numbers to Linphone. Linphone is an open-source softphone application using SIP. This article guides you on how to configure this softphone for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next-generation carrier like Telnyx!
A little disclaimer: This guide has been developed by our product team to help you get started on the Telnyx platform. It isn’t necessarily supported or verified by the other platform and may vary based on platform version but we are confident in its accuracy.
What you’ll need to get started:
How it works
A Telnyx Elastic SIP Trunk is used to connect your softphone to the PSTN, so you can make and receive calls globally with our private IP network. We handle all the complexity in routing calls and delivering crystal clear conversations. To connect your Telnyx numbers to your Linphone VoIP account we need to establish a SIP interface which is completed in these steps:
- Set up your Telnyx SIP Trunk Connection.
- Authenticate your SIP Trunk with Linphone.
Getting Started with Your Telnyx Mission Control Portal
There are four steps needed to set up your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account so that it’s ready to be configured to your PBX phone system, softphone client or softswitch of your choice.
Level 1 Verification:
To complete the below steps, you'll need to be Level 1 verified. Most users will already be Level 1 verified following email confirmation on signup. To check, visit the ‘My Account’ section of your portal account, and navigate to ‘Verifications’. More information on account verification can be found here.
Once you have signed up for a Mission Control account, you need to set up a connection to authenticate your client (Linphone) with our sip proxy (sip.telnyx.com). We have three authentication types on the portal: Credentials, IP Address and FQDN.
These steps will walk through the setup of an credentials-based connection.
- Go to ‘Connections’ from the side navigation.
- Click the "+ Add Connection" button near the top right corner of the page.
- Enter the name you wish to have for your connection.
- Select "Credentials" as the "Connection Type".
- A username and password will automatically be generated but you change the credentials by clicking the "edit" button to the left. Please make sure you use strong credentials.
- Click "Set Credentials".
- Click "Done".
Note: Once your credential-based Connection is created, you can display the username and password by clicking the eye icon under the "Auth Detail" column.
A DID is required in order to receive inbound calls to your client. After you purchase a DID on your account, you'll have to assign the connection you wish to receive inbound calls to. Information on assigning DIDs to a connection and DID features can be found here. More details on our number search feature can be found here.
An outbound profile is required in order to make outbound calls. More information on creating an outbound profile and its features are explained here.
Need additional support to get started?
Setup Linphone for Your Telnyx Connection
Once Linphone is installed and downloaded, you can then proceed to create your VoIP account on your new softphone. You can activate a pro license or continue as a free user upon initial configuration. For this walkthrough, we'll continue as a free user.
- Run the setup wizard when the application starts up or you can run it manually by “Options > Preferences/Settings > Manage Sip Accounts > Wizard”.
- Select “I have a sip account and I just want to use it”.
- Fill in the following fields:
- Username: The Auth username for the connection in the Portal
- Password: The Auth password for the connection in the Portal
- Domain: sip.telnyx.com
- Proxy: sip.telnyx.com
- Click Apply.
- Go back to the main window and select the new connection from the “My current identity” box.
That's it, you've now completed the configuration of Linphone and can now make and receive calls by using Telnyx as your SIP provider!
Support and Additional Resources: