New area code in the Denver, Colorado region
14, Jul 2022
If you’re located in the Denver Metropolitan region, a new area code overlay was recently implemented near you. Here’s what you need to know:
What is an area code overlay?
An area code overlay is the addition of another area code to the same geographic region as existing area codes. An overlay does not require telephone users to change their existing area code or phone number. It also does not change the way you dial calls. You’ll still use 10-digit dialing; dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, just as you do now.
Who is affected?
As of June 17, 2022, customers in the 303, 720 and 983 area code overlay region may be assigned a number beginning with the new 983 area code when they request new service or an additional line. Customers who receive the 983 area code must dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, just like customers with telephone numbers from the 303, 720 and 983 area codes do today.
What do you need to do?
Customers in the overlay region should:
- Continue to dial 1 + area code + phone number for all local calls
- Continue to identify and store phone numbers as 10-digit numbers (always include the area code, even if the number is local)
- Update your equipment if needed to ensure it recognizes the new 983 area code and is programmed for 10-digit dialing (for example: fax machines, medical alert devices, alarm systems, voicemail, and call forwarding settings)
- Ensure that all personal and business items include your area code (for example: pet ID tags, business cards, and advertising material)
What remains the same?
The following will remain the same for customers nationwide:
- Your current telephone number
- The price of a call, coverage area or other rates
- What is considered a local call
- The way you dial a phone number (you will still use 10-digit dialing for local calls, and 1+10 digits for long distance)
- Dialing existing 3-digit numbers such as 911, 211, 311, and so on
If you have questions…
If you have questions regarding this notice, please visit the Colorado Public Utilities Commission website.