Before discussing computer telephony integration in greater detail let’s briefly remind ourselves about call control. It’s how we can provide customers with the ability to control calls fully. That includes the power to:
- Answer, transfer and end a call
- Play recorded messages
- Record a call
- Let callers respond to a prompt via touch-tone menu (DTMF)
- Fork the call to multiple destinations
What is computer telephony integration (CTI)?
CTI applications allow users to manage telephone calls and communication through a computer. Typical features of a CTI application include:
- Authenticate callers by screening the incoming numbers
- Recognize voice for either security authentication or message forwarding
- Using live or recorded voice, or touch-tone input to determine how to process a call
For example, you’ve probably phoned a large organization before, say your electricity provider, and you will have been redirected to the appropriate department based on your requests or needs.
What’s the benefit of programmatic call control for CTI apps?
Based on our brief description of call control and a typical CTI application, it’s not hard to see how the use of programmatic call control can be helpful for CTI users. Some of the key benefits include:
Greater control over user experience
Thanks to the enhanced functionality of call control, CTI applications can be designed with precise workflows in mind, optimizing the experience each user has when they enter the call flow
Responsive app design
For example, when the CTI app directs the user to their destination the screen could display the appropriate call status
Improved in-call insights and analytics
The ability to record calls means that you’ll never lose valuable call history or information. It’s also possible to assess
How can CTP applications use call control?
Optimizing Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
The first-line of interaction with the customer is usually the IVR application. It’s a chance to make a good first impression and also to ensure the caller gets to their destination as smoothly as possible. By using call control, you’ll be able to configure your CTI’s IVR application optimally, and in turn, your customers will experience personalized, data-driven interactions.
Advanced call reporting
By using call control you can leverage CTI applications to put together data for reports that help you learn more about the bigger picture. Alongside data that measures call traffic, inbound and outbound sales calls, and support requests, you’ll be able to consider things like:
- Are customers finding their desired location quickly?
- Is voice recognition working efficiently or is it confusing?
- Are there any clear leaks or loopholes in the automated user navigation?
- How effective are the team and call agents once the calls are forwarded?
- Are there any clear support gaps?
- You can also hone in on an agent’s call to assess their real-time performance and measure their interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
How does call control impact the call flow?
Let’s look at how using call control impacts the call flow. It will typically look something like this:
- Notify organization XYZ of an incoming call
- Play the automated audio recording, e.g., “Welcome to organization XYZ, thanks for calling”
- Gather DTMF (the touch keys that the caller presses when you’ve given them options)
- Transfer the call to the appropriate department and play any further audio, e.g., “Please hold, your call has now been transferred.”
- Start recording the audio conversation for future analysis and data gathering purposes.
- End the call
There could be several options to the IVR, for example, you might ask the caller to make multiple decisions to help you refine where to direct their call.
Telnyx delivers voice, messaging and more for applications and next-generation communications companies. Telnyx is a communications platform and partner that provides global carrier-grade services. Telnyx maintains an international, private IP network and grants its customers unprecedented control over their communications through its innovative portal and RESTful API.
Share on Social
Worth checking out