The Telnyx network offers unparalleled security, reliability and call quality. That’s because we’re a true carrier, and unlike many CPaaS providers, we don’t rely on middlemen to provide core communications functionality and routing.
We built our SIP services so that you can easily integrate Telnyx with any platform to get your business communications set up quickly. Whether you’re looking to integrate with hardware or cloud-based solutions we want to empower you to make and receive calls globally with the network built for reliable, enterprise-grade voice services.
This guide shows you how to connect your Telnyx numbers to X-Lite. X-Lite is a softphone client, created by CounterPath, which can be used to make and receive calls over the internet through a telecom carrier IP network. X-Lite only works on Windows and Mac OS platforms.
Configure this softphone for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next-generation carrier like Telnyx!
A little disclaimer: This guide has been developed by our product team to help you get started on the Telnyx platform. It isn’t necessarily supported or verified by the other platform and may vary based on platform version but we are confident in its accuracy.
What you’ll need to get started:
How it works
A Telnyx Elastic SIP Trunk is used to connect your IP-based communications infrastructure to the PSTN, so you can make and receive calls globally with our private IP network. We handle all the complexity in routing calls and delivering crystal clear conversations. To connect your Telnyx numbers to your X-Lite platform we need to establish a SIP interface which is completed in these steps:
- Set up your Telnyx SIP Trunk Connection
- Authenticate your SIP Trunk with X-Lite
- Configure your X-Lite profile for Inbound and Outbound calling
Getting Started with Your Telnyx Mission Control Portal
There are four steps needed to set up your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account so that it’s ready to be configured to your PBX phone system, softphone client or softswitch of your choice.
Level 1 Verification:
To complete the below steps, you'll need to be Level 1 verified. Most users will already be Level 1 verified following email confirmation on signup. To check, visit the ‘My Account’ section of your portal account, and navigate to ‘Verifications’. More information on account verification can be found here.
Next, you need to set up a connection to authenticate your client (X-Lite) with our sip proxy (sip.telnyx.com).
These steps will walk through the setup of a credentials based connection.
- Go to ‘Connections’ from the side navigation.
- Click the "+ Add Connection" button near the top right corner of the page.
- Enter the name you wish to have for your connection.
- Select "Credentials" as the "Connection Type".
- A username and password will automatically be generated but you change the credentials by clicking the "edit" button to the left. Please make sure you use strong credentials.
- Click "Set Credentials".
- Click "Done".
Note: Once your credential-based Connection is created, you can display the username and password by clicking the eye icon under the "Auth Detail" column.
A DID is required in order to receive inbound calls to your client. After you purchase a DID on your account, you'll have to assign the connection you wish to receive inbound calls to. Information on assigning DIDs to a connection and DID features can be found here. More details on our number search feature can be found here.
An outbound profile is required in order to make outbound calls. More information on creating an outbound profile and its features are explained here.
Need additional support to get started?
Check out our support guide. Supplementary information for configuring your client, such as the signaling and media IP’s to our SIP proxy can be found at sip.telnyx.com.
Setup X-Lite for Your Telnyx Connection
Setting up SIP Trunk configurations on the X-Lite platform is pretty simple. To connect a SIP Trunk, we need to specify inbound and outbound signaling for Telnyx, set up authentication, add our numbers and set up some headers.
Before you can connect your X-Lite softphone to the Telnyx network, you need to download and install X-Lite. You can download X-Lite here.
Head to the X-Lite resource center for installation guides.
Setup X-Lite VoIP Account
Connecting X-Lite to Telnyx is a simple matter of setting up a SIP account in X-Lite, and registering your account with the Telnyx domain.
- Once you’ve installed and configured X-Lite, login to your X-Lite account.
- Click “Softphone” in the main menu at the top of the screen. Select “Account Settings”. Accounts Settings. This will bring up the “Accounts” window.
- Enter the following details under the “Accounts” tab:
- Account Name: Enter your name or your desired account name.
- User ID: Enter the username from your Telnyx credentials connection.
- Domain: sip.telnyx.com
- Password: Enter the password from your Telnyx credentials connection.
- Display Name: Enter your name or the name you want to be displayed for the VoIP account.
Your completed account details should look like this, with your own information in each field:
- Click “OK”. The softphone will attempt to register with sip.telnyx.com. If the username and password are correct, the account will be enabled.
That's it! Your X-Lite softphone client is configured and ready to make and receive calls with Telnyx as your SIP provider.
Support and Additional Resources:
Share on Social