New area code in the Missouri 314 region
26, Jul 2022
What is an area code overlay?
An area code overlay is the addition of another area code to the same geographic region as existing area codes. An overlay does not require telephone users to change their existing area code or phone number. It also does not change the way you dial calls. You’ll still use 10-digit dialing; dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, just as you do now.
Who is affected?
Beginning on August 12, 2022, customers in the 314 area code overlay region of Missouri (including, but not limited to, the communities of St. Louis, Overland, Bridgeton, Florissant, Webster Groves, Creve Coeur, Kirkwood and Sappington) may be assigned a number beginning with the new 557 area code when they request new service or an additional line. Customers who receive the 557 area code must dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, just like customers with telephone numbers from the 314 area code do today.
What do you need to do?
Customers in the overlay region should:
- Continue to dial 1 + area code + phone number for all local calls
- Continue to identify and store phone numbers as 10-digit numbers (always include the area code, even if the number is local)
- Update your equipment if needed to ensure it recognizes the new 557 area code and is programmed for 10-digit dialing (for example: fax machines, medical alert devices, alarm systems, voicemail, and call forwarding settings)
- Ensure that all personal and business items include your area code (for example: pet ID tags, business cards, and advertising material)
What remains the same?
The following will remain the same for customers nationwide:
- Your current telephone number
- The price of a call, coverage area or other rates
- What is considered a local call
- The way you dial a phone number (you will still use 10-digit dialing for local calls, and 1+10 digits for long distance)
- Dialing existing 3-digit numbers such as 911, 211, 311, and so on
If you have questions…
If you have questions regarding this notice, please visit the Missouri Public Commission website.