Using Telnyx with Grandstream
Check out this guide to connect your Telnyx numbers to Grandstream.
By Odhran Reidy
The Telnyx network offers unparalleled security, reliability and call quality. That’s because we’re a true carrier, and unlike many CPaaS providers, we don’t rely on middlemen to provide core communications functionality and routing.
We built our SIP services so that you can easily integrate Telnyx with any platform to get your business communications set up quickly. Whether you’re looking to integrate with hardware or cloud-based solutions we want to empower you to make and receive calls globally with the network built for reliable, enterprise-grade voice services.
This guide shows you how to connect your Telnyx numbers to Grandstream UCM6202. Grandstream offers SIP Unified Communication solutions, out of the box. Suitable for any business size or industry Grandstream can accommodate your communication needs. Configure this PBX for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next-generation carrier like Telnyx!
A little disclaimer: This guide has been developed by our product team to help you get started on the Telnyx platform. It isn’t necessarily supported or verified by the other platform and may vary based on platform version but we are confident in its accuracy.
What you’ll need to get started:
How it works
A Telnyx Elastic SIP Trunk is used to connect your IP-based communications infrastructure to the PSTN, so you can make and receive calls globally with our private IP network. We handle all the complexity in routing calls and delivering crystal clear conversations. To connect your Telnyx numbers to your Grandstream platform we need to establish a SIP interface which is completed in these steps:
- Set up your Telnyx SIP Trunk Connection.
- Authenticate your SIP Trunk with Grandstream.
- Configure your Grandstream profile for Inbound and Outbound calling.
Mission Control Portal - Getting Started
There are four steps needed to set up your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account so that it’s ready to be configured to your PBX phone system, softphone client or softswitch of your choice.
Level 1 Verification:
To complete the below steps, you'll need to be Level 1 verified. Most users will already be Level 1 verified following email confirmation on signup. To check, visit the ‘My Account’ section of your portal account, and navigate to ‘Verifications’. More information on account verification.
Once you have signed up for a Mission Control account, you need to set up a connection to authenticate your client (Grandstream) with our sip proxy (sip.telnyx.com). We have three authentication types on the portal: Credentials, IP Address and FQDN.
These steps will walk through the setup of a credentials based connection.
- Go to ‘Connections’ from the side navigation.
- Click the "+ Add Connection" button near the top right corner of the page.
- Enter the name you wish to have for your connection.
- Select "Credentials" as the "Connection Type".
- A username and password will automatically be generated but you change the credentials by clicking the "edit" button to the left. Please make sure you use strong credentials.
- Click "Set Credentials".
- Click "Done".
Note: Once your credential-based Connection is created, you can display the username and password by clicking the eye icon under the "Auth Detail" column.
A DID is required in order to receive inbound calls to your client. After you purchase a DID on your account, you'll have to assign the connection you wish to receive inbound calls to.
An outbound profile is required in order to make outbound calls. More information on creating an outbound profile and its features.
Need additional support to get started?
Setup Grandstream for Your Telnyx Connection
Setting up SIP Trunk configurations on the Grandstream platform is pretty simple. To connect a SIP Trunk, we need to specify inbound and outbound signaling for Telnyx and set up authentication.
Create Telnyx SIP Trunk
Navigate to Extension/Trunk that will drop down and click VoIP Trunks.
Click Add SIP trunk and fill in the required information.
- Type: Register SIP Trunk
- Provider Name: Telnyx
- Select Host Name: 22.214.171.124
- Connection’s username
- Connection’s password
Save the changes.
Create Inbound Route
- Navigate to Inbound Routes within Extensions/Trunks.
- Select the trunk and then click add on the left hand side of the screen underneath inbound routes.
- Enter in the patterns which apply to this inbound rule.(//images.ctfassets.net/taysl255dolk/6JNTpRlfGqCDq5eql2tmzn/ba38a69aabee380f6f2bafb8d1ae186c/grandstream-umc6202-7.png)
- In default mode select your default destination as Extension.
- After you have entered the new inbound route then click save in the top right hand side of the screen.
Create Outbound Route
- Navigate to the outbound routes shown below.
- Name the calling rule name to something of your choice and add the number pattern.
- Set your privilege level to match the service plan in the outbound settings on your Telnyx portal.
- Select your trunk in the use trunk section.
- After completing the configuration, click on "save".
That's it, you've now completed the configuration of Grandstream UMC6202 IP-PBX Trunk and can now make and receive calls by using Telnyx as your SIP provider!