Hosted SMS: How to Guide
A guide to start SMS hosting with Telnyx. Learn everything you need to know to get started.
By Tony Furnas
Hosted SMS is a way to allow numbers that are on a different voice provider in the US and Canada to utilize the Telnyx platform for SMS and MMS. When you host your numbers with Telnyx, your voice capability remains with your current provider.
Obtain Your LOA and Current Bill
Before you start using Hosted SMS, you’ll need two documents in PDF format:
- The Letter of Authority for the numbers Telnyx will be hosting, this must have Authorized Name and Authorized Address fields. You can download the form here.
- A bill from your current provider. Make sure the Authorized Name and Address match with the LOA.
Now, follow these simple steps to get setup:
Create Portal Account
- Go to Telnyx.com/sign-up
- Enter your business email, full name and password
- Click “Create My Account”
- TIP: You can also register using Google, Facebook, or GitHub
Create Messaging Profile
- Go to your Mission Control Portal
- Click Messaging
- Click "Add new profile"
- Name your new Messaging Profile
- Click "Save"
Host Your Number
- In your Mission Control Portal click on Numbers.
- Click on Hosted SMS.
- Click on Add new order.
- Fill out the numbers you’d like to host and select a messaging profile to assign these numbers to.
- Once you click on Create Order, you’ll be redirected to a page where you can upload a LOA and a bill. These need to be in PDF format.
- Click on Submit. You’ll need to wait up to 24 hours before the number goes active if the documents and the numbers are approved for hosting.
That’s it! We’ll be in touch to let you know as soon as your number has been activated for SMS.
Find out more about the Telnyx SMS API or join us on Slack with any questions you have — we’re available 24/7.