Many next generation voice applications, like translation, are ideal for the SaaS business model. However, in order to offer voice translation software as a cost-effective service, the app must be capable of performing translation in real time without disrupting the call flow.
Real time call translation poses rigorous demands.
In order to deliver a viable service, a translation app needs three paramount performance capabilities:
- Immediate access to the audio stream.
- Near instant return of translation results.
- Delivery of translation results to the end user without any degradation in call quality.
Historically, meeting these demands meant that the app required on-premise installation close to the system receiving the call; communications providers simply didn’t have the capabilities to meet the demands of call translation from the cloud.
On-premise installation is complicated and resource intensive. Additionally, routing the call through on-premise translation technology creates a new point of failure, and might create a point of failure for calls. If the translation app fails, the call is terminated.
The need for on-premise installation made it difficult for call translation SaaS providers, since the service was challenging to scale up and required extensive on-site installation and maintenance resources that drove profit margins down.
Telnyx makes real time call translation from the cloud possible.
The Telnyx communications platform provides four core technologies that enable cloud-based voice translation apps to deliver a true SaaS experience:
- Media forking duplicates and sends the audio stream to both the translation application and the PBX system. This eliminates the single point of failure, and enables calls to continue even if the translation application goes down. It also provides the translation app real-time access to the audio stream, while the call is still in progress.
- SIP trunking over a private network transmits and receives data from the cloud platform through a dedicated, private fiber optic backbone. Cloud-based translation applications send and receive data fast and reliably enough to provide seamless, real time translation service to the end user.
- Virtual cross connects transmit call data over private connectivity to cloud providers, which protects call data from man-in-the-middle attacks and reduces service degradation.
- Global numbers enable access to international markets so SaaS providers can take advantage of the scalability that a cloud-based application provides.
However, the most important benefit of cloud-based SaaS is that it eliminates the need for on-premise technology. A cloud-based translation application is much more flexible and agile, the sales cycle is shorter since adding new customers is less resource-intensive and a cloud-based translation application addresses the mid-market and international markets because no local presence is required to access distant customers.
In short, migrating your translation application to the cloud makes both your application and your organization more dynamic and scalable, so you can expand your service into new markets and build revenue.
Telnyx provides a cloud-based communications platform that enables cloud-based applications to perform call translation, analytics, transcription, and voice recognition in real time without any on-premise technology. Contact our customer success team to learn more.
Share on Social